Saturday, November 9, 2013

Six Days

It's been six days since I posted.  At that time, I intended to write every day.  There are so many things I wanted to write that I couldn't decide which to write first, so I didn't write any.  I wish I could say this wasn't typical of me.  I have become a fearsome procrastinator.

When I was younger, I was pretty good at delaying gratification and forcing myself to do the hard stuff now in order to get the good stuff later.  In the last few years, however, that ability seems to have disintegrated.

A book on Jungian psychology I was reading recently (something about the Shadow, but I don't want to stop and look up the title/author now) said that midlife is when the Shadow often makes its appearance, and people do things they never would have done before, things that are out of character.   This is what society popularly calls the Midlife Crisis.

I suppose that procrastination, like sensuality, is one of the things my responsible, virtuous younger self stuffed away into the bag in which gestated my Shadow, and so it is not all that surprising that these things would manifest themselves at this time.

Now I have to go do things that someone with my obligations and responsibilities has to do.  I hope to write more later today, but I will not be surprised if I do not.





No comments:

Post a Comment